Thursday, February 20, 2014

Jet City redux

(click for a larger view, as always)
I've written before about Seattle's place in the aircraft industry.  Here's something passing by the marina that you probably don't see in your city... those are 737 (?) fuselages on specially-designed rail cars, heading from Boeing's plant in Everett to, well, umm, Boeing field I presume (Doug, correct me if I'm wrong here).

They are covered in some kind of green film - film that even stays on when they are in the air, as they sometimes are with the film intact.  Presumably to protect the exotically expensive aluminum aircraft skin until it's painted - skin which we manufactured at the Kaiser Trentwood rolling mill where I used to work.  There's a whole story about aircraft skin sheets - a story for another time.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...