Monday, July 18, 2011

Boat domestic this morning

Heavy fog out there this morning, fog horns out on the Sound, and 54°... working inside just seems the right thing to do.

So, first project: repair my boat mocs.  It seems that the harder and less flexible wear pad is separating from the foam stack which forms the heel.  And that somehow the foam stack is compressing or wearing away?? So taking advantage of one of those boat chemicals that are so ubiquitous here and non-existent in shore life, I squeezed in some 5200 (after masking with blue tape, of course!).  This stuff is the most tenacious adhesive I have ever seen, and it cures as a rubber to boot (no pun intended, tho it would make an ideal patch for boots too).  A perfect match for the need here.  This stuff takes 24 hr or more to cure, so I'll have to wear something else to work tomorrow, probably.

Next, it's been at least 10 years since Jane and I (well actually, more Jane than I, if I remember correctly) refinished the inside of our cabinetry.   It is time to revisit that task, obviously. This cabinet in the aft head should keep me out of trouble for the rest of the morning, at least.

It is kind of amazing to think that we have lived aboard Eolian long enough now that we are having to redo maintenance items, based now on the wear and tear of our lives, not that of the PO.



Update:

It sure looks better!
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...